Thursday, September 08, 2005

Why mixed marriages don't really work here

So I was out eating at this restaurant near my place, and there was this couple chatting at the table next to me. Since I was eating alone and I'm a Malaysian, I couldn't help but eavesdrop on whatever the hell this couple was talking about.

Turns out they were talking about mixed marriages, and they were using this slang word I've heard a few times since I've been in KL: Chindian.

Chindian. Chiiiiiiindian. Like it's some kinda "new" phenomenon. "Oooh, Chindian. That's funky. Never knew that could happen. What do we call them? Where do they belong to?"

How come other people don't do that? You hear about white people marrying black people, you don't hear them calling their children Whacks. Well, some actually call them Oreo's, but what the hell.

I'm starting to think this could be the reason why people here don't seem to be open to mixed marriages. Can you imagine the names?

Say...Indian guy marries a Malay girl...they get little Inlays. Well, I guess it's wonderful if you want your kid to be a dentist.

Malay guy marries Chinese girl? Little Machi's. It's like a green light to do dorky hand signs all your life.

But do you know what must be the saddest? When the Machi kid marries that nice Indian guy AKA bai who goes around on a motorcycle selling roti: little Machibai's.

I mean that kid ain't gonna get no playmates. He'll meet some other kids at the playground, and they'll probably start talking about what race they are, with their mummies nearby...

Inbreedered kid 1: I'm Malay.

Inbreedered kid 2: I'm Indian.

Mixed kid: I'm a Machibai.

Inbreeder mum 1&2: You foul-mouthed kid!

Yeah, I see it now.

10 Comments:

Blogger cheayee said...

Ha ha ha hahah

*&funny*

but true to a certain extent.

then again, asians are not known to be open minded as compared to the whites leh.

12:01 AM  
Anonymous tokdalang said...

for want of a better name, they have been calling mixed chinese indian or indian chinese kids chindians.
while i appreciate the humour and do have some friends who are actually chibais, so to speak in street parlance as it is technically chipun or punchi as the case may be.
anyway, my point is this. it is indeed simplest, pun bloody intended, to just call them malaysians if they are from malaysia.
as for being openminded, i think the entire human race is not really open minded.
cheers!

2:26 AM  
Blogger minishorts said...

FUNNY FUNNY! wahahahah...

9:02 AM  
Blogger NickTay said...

Muahahahah!!! Thats supper funny! I guess Chindians are the only ones that work!! Thank God I am one of them :)

10:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Note to self: Must not read CC's blog at work. Having a silly grin on my face while staring at the computer screen does nothing for my professionalism...

BD

12:32 PM  
Blogger sarah said...

Excellent discussion on dna testing. I bookmarked your blog. I have my own dna testing blog if you want to take a look.

2:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

damn funny..you should be joining us at ATC, like me n yin soon hehehehh

-raina-

2:00 AM  
Blogger Raksha said...

Wahahahaha! Oh this definitely woke me up on this miserable early morning in the office...hahahaha! (^_~)b

7:46 AM  
Anonymous Alex said...

Hah! finally a post from you! dude, aren't you gonna tell them about the little Hinjus? ahaks... guess that post in DN's saybox worked lo.

3:26 AM  
Blogger tRiEi cRiSiS said...

well, just to share, when I was in Sarawak, I came across the chibans. That is chinese mix iban heritage.

10:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home