Thursday, April 21, 2005

When times were bad

I used to live on Ramly burgers and only ate twice a day for a few months because I didn’t have money, and had a horrible nicotine addiction at the same time. Due to that, I faint a lot when I walk, which made me get acquainted with the floor more than necessary. Sometimes I faint just standing up. I’d buy a Segway to help me move around, but if I have money I’d need food first. The Maslow pyramid. Necessities first.

Near the end of the month, sometimes only on the 20th, I run out of money for both food and cigarettes, but thankfully this guy at the local sundry store would be kind enough to give me some cigarettes, so I can forget I’m broke and hungry. What a nice man.

I’d then break out the old piggy bank where I kept loose change, all in 5 cents and 1 cents and spread it out on the guy’s counter to buy myself some food, which always makes the guy look amused. He never counts the coins when I give him though, and sometimes when I’m short, which is always the case, he even lets me take some food on loan too. “Nanti seja bayar bos, bila ada duit,” he’ll say. I don’t know what I’d do without him and my sister who gives me money too sometimes.

I usually buy these cheap bread there, a pack of Twiggies sometimes if the coins provide (glucose, yum, yum), and Maggi because I’d cook it with a lot of soup which fills you up quite good. Come to think of it, Maggi should be given some kind of special humanitarian award from UN for helping Malaysians survive, because I know I’m not the only one who has to live on flavoured empty carbs near the end of the month. Somehow I developed this habit of hoarding, because I’d even keep ketchup from takeaways if I could buy it, and I’d always eat food my friends leave behind, like the end of breads or a half-finished meal. Sometimes even a nearly finished meal. Beggars can’t choose.

At that time I also would go to this mamak stall in Wangsa Maju, BRJ restaurant, which had Astro, buy one teh tarik then stay there all night just to watch football. The guys there now recognize me because every half an hour or so one guy would come to kira my drink, and seem baffled to know I’ve had the same half-drinked teh tarik since 8 the night before. They’d walk away and shake their head, because if you sit there for 10 hours, you’d probably need to order more than that.

Oh, thank G… Ginuwine for the better days.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Jayelle said...

My goodness.. what happened back then?

Glad to see you're comfortable now..I mean you should be, since you can afford to use the internet.

12:59 AM  
Blogger Captain Carcinogen said...

Uh...a lot ;)

11:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home