Friday, February 11, 2005

I hate hypocritical Muslims

(First, thanks to TV Smith for linking me in his post stereotyping. Now my readership has doubled from 2 to 4. Many props to you. Now back to the post.)

Since I’ve moved to KL, everytime I meet a Muslim in KL, I would usually go to many lengths to hide the fact that I’m a Muslim. I don’t really look Malay anyway; I’m a Dusun mixed with Bajau, making me look ambiguously Malay with dashes of Chinese, so I usually get away.

But then, it’s not because I’m ashamed of being a Muslim. It’s just that when they find out I don’t believe in God, they start to break into this spiel of theirs, which I suspect they have rehearsed many, many times. Oh, they might be worse than me they say, they might be a heavier drinkers than I am they say, womaniser, gambler, cheater, stealer, they say, but it always ends with:

“…jahat-jahat aku ni, percaya jugak aku ada tuhan.”

“…tau jugak aku yasin.”

“…sembahyang Jumaat jugak aku kadang-kadang (what kadang-kadang? Is that any better?)”

And in that beautiful, rosy world of theirs which is filled as much sin as mine, they’re ok. They’re the good ones. They’re the ones god puts into his bosom and sends them to that promised heaven for them to languish in joy and splendour for eternity. And I’m going to hell.

Yes, I will. So what? I don’t give jackshit. So what if you believe in god? So what if you know the first page of Yasin? So what if you sometimes go for the Friday prayers? Does that make you so much more better than me already? We are both filled in shit neck high; stop trying to mask your stench with cheap deodorant. Accept the fact that we’re both in the same ship: sinking in the sea of sin with nowhere in sight, just flailing enough to stay afloat in it. Stop being such a fucking hypocrite.

Are you telling me that’s how a good Muslim is defined by? By how much they remember? By how they still make that very occasional visit to the mosque? By the number of times they stand, bend and bow in the direction of the Ka’abah in their lifetime?

Why are those the qualities? Was there some kind of mix-up when god gave us instructions on how to be a good human being? Shouldn’t we be defined by our values, our ethics as a human being, how we treat those around us

So being an ethical human being who doesn’t cause trouble to people around them isn’t enough?

What kind of a god is that? If that really is the god I’m supposed to pray in this religion that I’m born in, which, might I add, did not choose but can’t escape from, why should I bother praying to him?

Isn’t that weird? There’s this god who makes it illegal and even punishable for death to denounce your religion. What, you afraid I’m leaving? Shouldn’t you know by now whether I’m leaving you or not? You are, after all, G.O.D.

Ever since I could remember, I never felt compelled to pray to him, read stuff for him, singing praises to him, glory glory god, thank you for creating me, despite what my parents and local ustaz have thought me.

He MADE me. Why is someone so powerful, who can create the whole universe out of nothingness, run the planets in the orbit, and make the sun rise and fall, wants me to kiss his ass endlessly? Why does he want to be PRAISED?

Isn’t wanting to be praised a human need, the vain feeling that you should be acknowledged for what you did for them?

“Yes, but C.C., don’t you want to be acknowledged? Don’t you feel pissed if you did something for someone and they didn’t even bother thanking you?”

Wait, if god has the same emotions as I do, then shouldn’t that immediately make him NOT god already? Doesn’t that automatically disqualify him from being the supreme eternal being?

Because we all know, that emotions like anger and feeling short-changed are human infallibilities?

If he is god, he should distant himself from the creatures he created. He cannot be like us. If he also feels emotions, imagine what else he would share with us. Would he read the paper in the morning too? Would he be at the local mamak stall calling out, “Boss!” for a teh tarik?

If so, he must not be god. He must be something else. So humans aren’t made in the image of god. It’s the contrary, however. He must be a god created in the image of humans.

It is just a natural need for us humans to know that there is something running the things in the background, making trees sprout from the ground, tearing the heavens apart to give us the life-giving gift of rain. It is unexplainable, so there must be a divine being doing it. And so comes in god to fill in that void in our minds.

“My, that sure explains everything that happened in life. God made it that way!”

And then, as humans, since we live in a society where every action has a repercussion, we started giving out punishments to ensure a society peaceful enough for us to share.

So, obviously, if we were to make a god, he must give worse punishments. He won’t whip you 20 times, then make you pay a fee once. Oh no, he’ll make you pay for eternity. Forever.

Then isn’t that some kind of a sick god? He’s omniscient, all knowing, ever present, neither here nor there but everywhere, looking into our minds, sitting on our couch, hovering all around us, seeing what we do, not predicting, but KNOWING our next moves, and then making us suffer in eternity for something he knew we’d do all along anyway. How could he blame us for something he could already foresee? Why not just throw us in hell the day we were born to save time?

He knows the past, present, future, and whatever time there is in between, but he’s going to punish me for eternity because I did something he already knew about since I was small blood clot in my mum’s womb. If you know that I’m going to step into that bar and down some
Chivas, why not come down before I step in and bitch-slap me and go, “Hey, BIATCH, don’t step your feet into the devil’s establishment?”

Some might argue he gives us free will. We are free to choose what we want to do, so it is obviously our fault, even if he knows. Free will? For what? What’s the point of free will if he already knows what we’re doing next? That’s not free will. That’s like saying we can choose any colour, as long as it’s black. Wouldn’t our choices inevitably be the ones that have been written in his book a long long time ago? The number of times I’m smoking tomorrow, the colour of the first house I own, the size of my next girlfriend’s breast and whether she smells nice, wouldn’t that be predetermined already?

Wouldn’t free will be pointless? Why not make us mindless drones who toil all day making endless monuments in praise of you? Isn’t that what you would want? People saying your name all day, thanking you endlessly for being put on earth?

Is watching humans roaming around mindlessly, doing everyday things so entertaining to you, god? Is this your version of the Sims? Aren’t there other things you can do to waste time, like knitting or curling up on your sofa with a good book on a rainy day? (Hell, I’m sure you can make it rain whenever you want). Can’t you get a life? Is eternity really that long?

Now, let me assure you that despite my dislike of god (to put it likely) I don’t hate everyone with religion. If you have a religion, it’s fine with me. If you live by his tenets, hey, whatever you want, knock yourself out. It’s your choice. I have friends who are genuinely nice people and are highly religious, who I believe should be the models of how people with religion should be, and I fully appreciate their friendship. I do get into debates with them on god, but we agreed to respect each other on our views, and I believe that’s how things should be. I don’t like religion, and I will comment on it, but if you believe in it, well, good for you then.

What I cannot stand, though, are hypocrites, people who subscribe to religion yet barely follow it, and then start condemning me and giving me speeches of how much “better” they are since they memorised some lines (what is this? Is the afterlife a test you’re supposed to cram for?

Shouldn’t it be all practical?) and how I should “change” my ways, that I’m destined for hell, that I should repent while I still can. Oh, shut up. Just how much better are you than I am?
I live my life by my rules, not according to what these books that god supposedly sent down. I do what I do based on my own personal views and values. As long as I don’t trouble or hurt anybody, hey, then it should be ok.

Now I got to leave. There are some sins I have to attend to.

16 Comments:

Blogger hsin said...

Same goes for Christians

5:07 AM  
Blogger Captain Carcinogen said...

Hm...guess you can just substitute Muslim with any religion of choice...

5:11 AM  
Blogger guy said...

i believe,He looks for the intention in the heart, the kindness in what you do and how you treat the people/world around you.

dont need any cleric who prays 24/7 but critize people openly,or a priest who preys on small kids, or a monk who collects donation only to spend it on his Rolex, or preaches that preach hate towards other religion.
thats not religion, that is precieved religion.the i am holier than thou crap.self-glorified people who trives on other people opinion on them.

think a supervisor that takes credit for his subordinate, keeps them all in line and kissing the manager's ass to get a promotion.
change supervisor to a preacher,subordinate to believers, and manager'ass for some other guy in a higher position.

in the end its between you and god.just do what you feel right.

7:55 AM  
Blogger -[Uh-miR]- said...

I am not going to nitpick on your comments, but I believe this whole thing about fate has been misiterpreted by the masses somewhat.. As far as I know, according to what Ive learned in agama class, there are only 3 things that are absolute certainties in life, which are your birth, death and marriage/s.. soo anything in between is really up to you to do and make do.. God doesnt have a clue sometimes what the shit your up to.. Thats the beauty about being human.. Theres always a choice and another road..

Fully respect you man, for standing out like this.. I dont have the courage to do anything like that, though there are many things that I agree with you.. Anyway, I am looking for a balance in my life, so please dont call me a hypocrite if I strike you as one.. I believe in God, but not so much in the religion (or at least most of whatever is thought). But Id rather be a Muslim than a subscriber of any other religion. Does that make me a muslim or an athiest?

10:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmm, quite an angsty post. I respect your opinion, but by not believing in Allah, does that make you a Muslim? Being a Muslim contends that you have to believe in Allah. If you don't, then you're not one.

In any case, I don't wish to act holier than thou, because I myself dabble in sins. ^_^

1:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aieeeee. Whatever you do, DON'T tell our mutant sibling. She's already out to crucify me. But maybe because I'm not useful to her anymore. And I look better in her clothes. MUAHAHAHA.

Whatever, bro. You can believe in whoever, but I'll still believe in you. And if they ever try to send you to Muslim rehabilitation camp, I'll bring Ferrero Rocher and Pendidikan Agama cheatsheats.

2:07 PM  
Blogger amir said...

DUDE!

Do you know what THEY will DO to people who SPEAK their minds?

Especially MUSLIMS who speak BAD about their religion?

THINGS, man. THINGS.

Hahahaha. I'm just fucking with ya.

Anyway, I long for the day when everyone can practice their religion/non-religion anyway they want to, within the confines of civil law.

And NOT have JAWI officers fucking them.

5:06 AM  
Blogger Captain Carcinogen said...

"As far as I know, according to what Ive learned in agama class, there are only 3 things that are absolute certainties in life, which are your birth, death and marriage/s.. soo anything in between is really up to you to do and make do.. God doesnt have a clue sometimes what the shit your up to.. Thats the beauty about being human.. Theres always a choice and another road.."

gee, that must be pretty sad -[Uh-miR]-...he can create the universe and then know precisely when I die, yet doesnt know in between...hm...

and anonymous, im not a muslim by choice. if i can change what's on my IC, i would. but its illegal...so...

and ARGH! my sister knows my blog. jeez

5:25 PM  
Blogger mamat said...

Hi yer.
Interesting point.

Bottom line is 'No compulsion, mate'. You choose your path of choice. Muslim, Christian, Atheist, anything.

You are answerable to your actions, in the process, don't blame others.

Practicality is difficult in Malaysia. This is no democratic state. It's an authocratic Barisan Nasional state.

Here's wishes that you find your true calling, whatever it might be.

A practicing muslim,
mamatd.

2:30 AM  
Blogger Me.Lo.Ra. said...

Hey I used to be skeptical bout my God too but no matter what religion you have faith more,
you have to involve yourself deeply in god so you can give all your attention to it.

1:09 PM  
Anonymous Batman said...

God does not expect you to prostrate. But I think it is the only honor that we can bestow to the Creator. It's like you wanna buy a house for your parents coz u love them so much. God needs nothing from you. Besides, writing a good book (quran/talmud/bible etc) is not easy. People will only read what they happen to come across and believe only what they choose. Dont blame the hipocrites. I think am one of them. Sigh! Its not about God. Its about the mind. Returning to the Mind and reconciling with the Mind. Karma. Sutra (if you are bored).

5:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This site is a Jews and Christian propaganda to disorientate the reading muslims.

You muslims out there the truth is in the holy Quran and Hadith.

11:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sistah again. Wah, this blog is Jewish & Christian propaganda? Damn. Hahahaha. So deludedlah the poor soul who thinks you're their mouthpiece.

Am proud of you. At least you're honest about what you believe instead of being like those poor deluded souls who don't believe but can't even tell the truth to themselves.

2:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello there... friend of mine is plugging your blog so I dropped by to take a look.

Interesting point of view, and one that I respect, because I've gone through it myself. I believe in God, but not in organized religion. After all, if God is for everyone, then why do we have to go through all these priest, bishops and cardinals to get to him? *shrugs* I stopped going to church years ago, except on Christmast Eve and occasions when my mom makes it impossible for me not to go. My relatives sometimes question why I don't go to church. I know that my views of the church as an institution that only serves itself would not be taken well, so I just shrug and smile. As I said, I do believe in God, I just don't believe in the Church.

Of course, the church-goers would preach to me, about how long I haven't been to mass, or the confession, etc. Yech... and yet there are regular church-goers, acquaintances of mine, whose parents are highly respected in church, yet she got pregnant, and being unmarried, had an abortion. Now that is one thing that the Catholic church frowns upon. Makes you wonder, doesn't it?

Neeways, live your own life and choose your own path. If you ever have the need to embrace faith in the future, the choice is always there. If you don't, it will not diminish you as a person either. All the best.

BD

9:34 AM  
Blogger suspiciousbastard said...

Ah...someone who shares the same sentiments as me.

9:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

this is what happens when people think they are too smart. you start to question things that you are not supposed to question..

if you dont like Islam, convert. easy as that.

7:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home